Monday, September 25, 2006

DOWN THE STRETCH WE COME...

As another summer winds down, and the autumn leaves arrive, the Dodgers have one week left to try and secure a playoff spot int the post season. But, they did not do themselves any favors this weekend. The Dodgers met the Arizona Diamond Backs at Dodger stadium for a three game series, and needed to stay on pace with the San Diego Padres... they failed to do that. Not only did they fail to keep pace with the Padres, but they relinquished their wild-card lead to the Philadelphia Phillies on Saturday night. So now they find themselves out of a playoff spot with six games left in the season. Tonight the Dodgers are idle, but the Padres, and Phillies are in action. I will be glued to my computer, watching the games on the MLB gamecast, holding a rosary in one hand, and my lucky Jeff Hamilton baseball card in the other. I first realized the cards supernatural powers on Opening day 1999. I was 12 at the time, and I was going through my baseball cards, and I came across Jeff Hamilton card. For some unexplainable reason, I picked up the card and started to read his stats. At that very moment, the ever charismatic Raul Mondesi hit a game tying 3-run home run. I don't know if it was the brown mustard I ate, but I knew that this card was special. I kept the card in my hand for the rest of the game, and magic happened. Raul Mondesi came up in the 9th, and again delivered a 3-run walk-off shot. So today, I will take my Jeff Hamilton baseball card out of retirement, and hope for magic. The Dodgers travel to Colorado on Tuesday to meet the Rockies, and our "best" 3 pitchers our going to take the mound. Greg Maddux will go on Tuesday, Derek Lowe will go in the second game, and the bum of bums Brad Penny finishes the series. If we lose one of those games, the season is over. So lets hope Ryan Howard develops a bunion problem, Jake Peavy gets the Steve Blass disease, or that the Rockies materialize a Ball phobia. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and we ARE that desperate. So lets ride Jeff Hamilton into the playoffs!


BELIEVE IN BLUE!

1 comment:

Kevin Lewis said...

I called my brother up in St. Louis and begged for a sweep. They need to secure home field advantage, so hopefully LaRussa will put the Padres in their place. I would love that,